Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday

Quality Car Time with a Toddler

This is my first WFMW post but hopefully not my last! You can read about WFMW at Rocks In My Dryer.

We do alot of traveling so we spend alot of time in the car. To help Nate (who is two) learn to communicate better and to share some bonding time we have started a new game when we get into the car.

Once in the car we will talk about the cars and trucks on the road. Nate will point to a truck/car and tell me what color it is or he will tell me what sound it makes. Another thing we do is sounds. I'll ask what a cow sounds like and Nate will reply with the correct "mooooooo" sound. Other times we will go over the ABC's and counting to ten and sometimes twenty.

Another good idea is to turn off the radio and sing songs that are age appropriate with your child. Right now Nate loves singing the I Love You song, I'm a Nut, Twinkle Twinkle and Itsy Bitsy Spider.

For older children a fun game to play is the I Spy ABC game. While traveling down the road you would start off by finding something that starts with an A and tell what you see. Then the next person would move on to do the same with the letter B and so on. It really is fun and makes you really look at your surroundings much better.

4 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Great ideas!! Happy Wednesday - our tip is up as well!

kel said...

I love playing car games, we play 20 questions a lot with my two that are 7 and 8, they think of something and then we get 20 yes or no questions to try to guess.

Unknown said...

Welcome to WFMW!

I, too, like to play word games. My 8yo likes them, and I did them when she was a preschooler, and you're right, now is the time to start it up with my 2yo. The car can be a great place to talk and share, or it can be torture, so why not try to make the most of it.

Rae said...

Great ideas! Car games are always fun for kids + there's nothin' better than learning while playing games! Welcome to WFMW! =)

Template Design | Elque 2007